Skip to Content

7. Zoning and Permit Requirements


Sonoma County is comprised of nine incorporated cities, and the unincorporated area is governed by the County of Sonoma. Each jurisdiction is charged with regulating permits and ensuring compliance within its own boundaries. Various state agencies also regulate air quality, water quality, food safety, employee safety, energy efficiency, and the like.

Once you have a business location in mind, check with the local permitting and zoning authority to ensure your business use complies with regulations and to determine the necessary steps involved in establishing the business location. Contacts for each of the planning, health, and development agencies in Sonoma County are below:

Jurisdiction Website Phone
County of Sonoma (unincorporated) (707) 565-1900
City of Cloverdale (707) 894-1726
City of Cotati (707) 665-3636
City of Healdsburg (707) 431-3348
City of Petaluma (707) 778-4470
City of Rohnert Park (707) 588-2231
City of Santa Rosa (707) 543-3200 x2
City of Sebastopol (707) 823-6167
City of Sonoma (707) 938-3681
Town of Windsor (707) 838-1021

Important Information

  • For all businesses, CalGOLD offers more information on specific health, fire, and safety permitting requirements, including contact information sorted by business type, industry, and location.

  • For businesses that will offer any type of food or beverage product or service, it will be necessary to contact the County of Sonoma Health Services Food Safety Program, (707) 565-6565, to determine any additional requirements.