Production on the Rise
Sonoma County is experiencing a surge in hand-crafted beverages as consumer preferences shift towards smaller-scale production of beers, ciders and spirits. Sonoma County is home to award-winning craft breweries, such Lagunitas Brewing Company, Russian River Brewing Company and Bear Republic Brewing Company, that have been experiencing rapid growth and attracting tourists from around the nation. Meanwhile, local cideries and distilleries continue to increase output and employment. With more than 50 breweries, cideries and distilleries, it’s no wonder that Sonoma County is earning a national reputation for its craft beverage sector.
- Check out our Sonoma County Beer, Cider and Spirits Video »
- As of July 2019, there are 30 craft breweries, 15 craft distilleries, and 8 craft cideries in Sonoma County.
- Total economic impact for craft breweries was estimated to be $7.3 billion in 2018.
- Nationwide, the craft beverage industry is slowly declining, although regionally, it may not be the case for Sonoma County, as new brewers continue to open new businesses here. Craft brewers are being challenged to focus on keeping local customers loyal and staying innovative to attract newcomers.
- Craft brewers and spirit makers face rising operating expenses as vacant industrial and warehousing spaces have been taken by the quickly growing recreational marijuana industry.
EDB Sector Support
The EDB has been working closely with craft beverage producers to support and showcase this emerging sector in Sonoma County.
Pliny the Younger Release
For two weeks each Spring, visitors flock to Santa Rosa's Russian River Brewing Company for the release of internationally-acclaimed craft beer, Pliny the Younger. In 2020, the annual Pliny the Younger release brought more than 23,000 visitors and $5.1 million of tourist dollars into the County.
- Craft Beverages
- Creative Sonoma
- Film Office
- Outdoor Recreation
- Specialty Food Products
- Strategic Sonoma
- Sonoma Mendocino Economic Development District (SMEDD)
- Back to Current Initiatives