Start your Cannabis Business
Opening a cannabis business has unique challenges, due to conflicting state and federal laws, state regulations that are still being written, and lack of banking services. If you are considering opening a cannabis-related business in the unincorporated Sonoma County (outside the nine cities), the EDB is here to help!
- First, review the EDB's online Cannabis Business Readiness Guide.
- This guide helps you better understand the challenges facing new cannabis businesses and provides information and resources on how best to get started!
New Cannabis Website
Be sure to check out the new Sonoma County Cannabis website. Launched in May 2017, the website is your one-stop location for all the information that you need to start and grow your cannabis business, including details on Permitting, Legislation and Policy, Taxes, and Personnel Use.
As you work to develop your cannabis business you make find additional information useful by visiting the following websites and working a local trade organizations.
- Sonoma County Growers Alliance - community group organized to educate, collaborate and advocate for patient, cultivator and community rights and responsibilities.
- California NORML non-profit, membership organization dedicated to reforming California's marijuana laws and focuses on consumers.
- California Cannabis Industry Association was formed to unite the cannabis industry in California and to allow it to speak with one voice at the state and local levels. They strive to educate and act as a resource to lawmakers regarding all areas of the cannabis industry.
- California Growers Association grower/cultivator oriented cannabis statewide trade association.
- National Cannabis Industry Association - national trade association advancing the interests of the legitimate and responsible cannabis industry.