7. Zoning and Permit Requirements

  • El-Molino-Central-Exterior-1280-525

Sonoma County is comprised of nine incorporated cities, and the unincorporated area is governed by the County of Sonoma. Each jurisdiction is charged with regulating permits and ensuring compliance within its own boundaries. Various state agencies also regulate air quality, water quality, food safety, employee safety, energy efficiency, and the like.

Once you have a business location in mind, check with the local permitting and zoning authority to ensure your business use complies with regulations, and to determine the necessary steps involved in establishing the business location. Contacts for each of the planning, health, and development agencies in Sonoma County are below:

Jurisdiction WebsitePhone
County of Sonoma (unincorporated) (707) 565-1900
City of Cloverdale (707) 894-1726
City of Cotati (707) 665-3637
City of Healdsburg (707) 431-3348
City of Petaluma (707) 778-4470
City of Rohnert Park (707) 588-2236
City of Santa Rosa (707) 543-3200 x2
City of Sebastopol (707) 823-6167
Sonoma (707) 938-3681
Windsor (707) 838-1021

Important Information

  • For all businesses, CalGOLD offers more information on specific health, fire, and safety permitting requirements, including contact information, sorted by business type, industry, and location.

  • For businesses that will offer any type of food or beverage product or service, it will be necessary to contact the County of Sonoma Health Services, Food Safety Program, (707) 565-6565,sonomacounty.ca.gov/Health/Environmental-Health/Food-Safety-Program to determine any additional requirements.

Contact Information

Economic Development Board
Business Hours
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Contact us by Phone
141 Stony Circle, Suite 130
Santa Rosa, CA 95401